WHAT IS INVOLVED IN COMMISSIONING A PORTRAIT?
- Contact the artist email@example.com
- Include details about the subject to be painted.
- Is the subject a child or adult?
- What medium do you like?
- Will the portrait style be formal or informal?
- Is there a certain budget for the portrait?
- Have you thought of where the portrait will hang?
- Will the portrait setting be inside or outdoors?
- What kind of clothes will the subject wear?
- Will there be an unveiling ceremony for the portrait?
- Is the subject living or will it be a posthumous portrait?
The artist will determine the overall composition upon arrival for the sitting. The subject has only to settle back and enjoy the procedure. It is a happy occasion that will be reflected in the completed portrait.
The artist works with the client to determine the overall composition for the portrait. For the photo session, the artist takes a series of candid shots. Generally, this photo session takes about twenty to thirty minutes and is a happy event.
WHAT DOES A PORTRAIT COST?
Portraits are priced according to the following:
- Artist fees for portraits can range from $550 for a basic pencil drawing to several thousand dollars.
- The medium selected – pencil, charcoal, watercolor, oil
- Portrait size - head and shoulders, half-figure, three-quarter figure or full figure.
- How many subjects are in the portrait.
- The complexity of the background.
ONCE I HAVE DECIDED ON MY PORTRAIT, WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
- Arrangements are made for a convenient time for the artist to come to the home or office of the subject for sittings. This may include a photography session and a session that includes color studies and sketches.
- With the client’s approval, the artist may suggest the best photograph composition for the portrait.
- The artist returns to his or her studio to begin the portrait.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PAINT THE PORTRAIT?
The length of time from beginning to completion of the portrait depends on the artist’s schedule and the complexity of the portrait’s composition. An average time for a portrait from sittings to delivery can be one to 10 months.
WILL THE PORTRAIT BE DELIVERED FRAMED?
The frame is not included in the price of the portrait. Sometimes the artist will assist in the framing process upon request but many clients have their own preferred professional framers.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRAVEL AND LODGING EXPENSES?
The client is responsible for these charges. Additional expenses may include insurance, crating, shipping and state sales tax where applicable.
CAN PORTRAITS BE PAINTED FROM PHOTOGRAPHS?
Sometimes a portrait can be painted from a very high quality professional photograph.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM NOT PLEASED WITH THE COMPLETED PORTRAIT?
The artist will work with you until you are satisfied with the completed portrait. The artist is highly professional and capable of making changes or corrections to the portrait. The primary goal of the artist is for the client to be completely satisfied with the completed portrait.